Friday, September 25, 2009

"On The Road'. . . just an opinion

By Kylie

After a taxing struggle with the first 100 or so pages, the following few hundred had me firmly embraced in a love/hate relationship with Kerouac's stories and characters.
Written in such intimate detail, Kerouac allowed me the sensation of being truly present on Dean and Sal's many expeditions. His scenes and situations described in such depth, often evoked strong recollections of personal journeys and events.
Unfortunately my slight disdain for the main characters at the beginning was firmly entrenched by books end. The futile ravings of these self indulged, self diagnosed sane were hackneyed and predictable. Believing the painfully insignificant as intoxicatingly pertinent left me wanting to slap them into reality.
Out of five stars I give 'One The Road' two and a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment